Skip to main content
Header Image



The Mansion House: the RES headquarters near St AlbansThe Mansion House: the RES headquarters near St Albans

(View location map)

The Royal Entomological Society was founded in 1833 as the Entomological Society of London and is the successor to a number of short-lived societies dating back to 1745.

The first meetings were held in the Thatched House Tavern, St. James's Street. Various other places in their turn became the scene of the Society's activities before the freehold of the headquarters at 41 Queen's Gate was bought in 1920, where the Society stayed until 2007 when the Mansion House at St Albans was purchased.

In 1885 a Royal Charter was granted to the Entomological Society by Queen Victoria and the privilege of adding the word "Royal" to the title was granted by King George V in 1933, the Centenary of the Society's foundation.

Many eminent scientists of the past, Darwin and Wallace to mention but two, have been Fellows of the Society. Through the years most internationally recognised entomologists have been and are, numbered among the Fellowship.

The Reception AreaThe Reception AreaThe Meeting RoomThe Meeting RoomThe Council RoomThe Council Room