Orthoptera Special Interest Group (online)
Please join us for the Royal Entomological Society’s annual Orthoptera meeting about grasshopper and cricket research, conservation, recording and more. No prior knowledge is required! This year’s event will again be held online and is free to attend.
We are looking forward to a wide range of talks, including research updates about cricket courtship, blue-winged grasshoppers in Jersey, mathematical modelling of bush-cricket hearing, and the large marsh grasshopper conservation program. We will also commemorate 100 years of locust swarming research with talks from some of our overseas colleagues.
Registration will close at 14:00 on 2 November 2021, zoom joining links will be sent out shortly after.
- Luc Willemse, Naturalis Biodiversity Centre, Leiden - A brief word about the third European Congress on Orthoptera Conservation, April 2022.
- Chu-Cheng Lin, University of Cambridge - The neurobiology of cricket courtship.
- Michelle Gray, Jersey Biodiversity Centre - Blue-winged grasshoppers in Jersey.
- Stuart Green, Citizen Zoo - Update on large marsh grasshopper program.
- Emine Celiker, University of Lincoln - Mathematical modelling of bush cricket hearing.
- Hugh Rowell, University of Basel - Introducing the Jago’s Grasshoppers of East and Northeast Africa, Vol 5.
- Rick Oversen and Mira Word, Arizona State University - Introducing the Global Locust Initiative.
- Hojun Song, Texas A&M - Introducing the Behavioral Plasticity Research Institute.
To receive information about future meetings, and periodic news from the Grasshopper Recording Scheme, please subscribe at http://eepurl.com/dDJ3EP.
Darron Cullen, University of Lincoln
Judith Marshall, NHM
Ed Baker, University of York