GUIDANCE TO REGIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL REPS (October 2022)
Definition of Regions
- Ireland – Irish Republic and Northern Ireland
- Scotland – All of Scotland
- Wales – All of Wales
Counties are ascribed to English regions as follows:
- North – Northumberland, Cumbria, Durham, Yorkshire, Lancashire
- East – Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Rutland, Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Suffolk
- West Midlands – Cheshire, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Shropshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire
- South-east – Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, London, Berkshire, Hampshire
- South-west – Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall.
- International reps – may cover any part of their own country and other countries as willing.
Objectives for regional and international reps (these are indicative and flexible)
- Represent the Society in your area, encourage entomologists to join, and develop a sense of community among members.
- Ensure that there are some RES entomological meetings within your area (but also open to those outside the area), ideally at least one per year, by, e.g.,
- – Encouraging Special Interest Groups to hold meetings in the area
- – Encouraging meetings with a more general theme than SIGs, for example reflecting entomological interests of the area
- – Encouraging field meetings and other types of meeting.
- – Through liaison with the Outreach Committee, encourage outreach activities in the area.
- – Develop and maintain a list of entomologists who are willing to provide talks to other local organisations.
- – Be a member of the Meetings Committee and report on activities.
Support from the Society
- The Society will communicate your messages to members in your area.
- The Society will ensure that SIG Convenors are aware of the regional and international reps.
- The Society will provide administrative and promotional support for meetings.
- The Society will deal with the finance of meetings and pay reps’ expenses.
- The Society will always be on hand to help with anything you need and to answer questions.
For information on organising meetings, see separate guidelines document.